DC110 Drawing Flowers
With Diane Cardaci
Studio Classes with Diane Cardaci
The Studio Classes are designed for the student with a strong grasp of the basic fundamentals of drawing and shading. All levels of experience are welcome and
Diane will work with each student at his/her own level. Each of these?classes will focus on a different topic of interest that will contribute to the overall development
of the artist. In all of Diane's classes, sketching from life is encouraged, and so it is recommended to have a digital camera as well as a scanner.
Studio Class: Drawing Flowers
In this class we will draw our way through a garden of flowers, learning about their shapes, anatomy, details and textures. In addition, we will work on two portfolio pieces (or three for the ambitious!)
- Introduction and Materials
- Review of shading the basic geometric forms.?
- Techniques for shading and creating textures.?
- Study (through?drawing) of the basic parts of a flower.
- Introduction to the general categories and shapes of flowers.?
Drawing and shading ?petals.?
Drawing Leaves and Stems.
- Discussion of flowers based on the cup and bell shape.?
- Designing the composition: cropping, eliminating unnecessary detail, and layout.?
Sketches of cup shaped flowers.
Portfolio Development, Rose—Stage 1: Outline of drawing of a rose and base layer of tone.
- Discussion of flowers based on tubular/trumpet shape.?
- Finding and creating natural lighting.
Sketches of tubular shaped flowers.?
Portfolio Development, Rose-Stage 2: Development of shading.
- Discussion of flowers based on star shape.
- Lifting out?drawing flower textures with the eraser.?
Sketches of star shaped flowers.?
Portfolio Development, Rose-Stage 3: Advanced development of shading and completion of drawing.
- Discussion of flowers with composite shape.
Sketches of flowers with composite shape.?
Portfolio Development, small flower arrangement-Stage 1: Outline of drawing and base layer of tone.
- Discussion of flowers with multiflorets.
- Use of values to represent color.
Sketches of flowers with multiflorets.?
Portfolio Development, small flower arrangement-Stage 2: Development of Shading.
- Discussion of asymmetrical and unusual shaped flowers.?
- Finishing a drawing: cleaning, spraying and framing?
Sketches of asymmetrical flowers?
Advanced development of shading and completion of drawing.